Thursday, October 19, 2006

wall of leaves after peak and on to loss

I didn't go to the studio yesterday because I wanted to head up into the mountains (before the local peak tourism season ends) to take more photos for the Tourism and Tragedy series I've been working on.

This is the time of year when people from all over drive up into the Smoky Mountains National Park to witness and photograph the fall colors. Seems everyone is looking for a beautiful view and for ways to preserve the experience.

When I got to the mountains I (and every other driver) found that all routes into the park were closed for some mysterious reason, which I've since found to be because hurricane strength winds knocked a bunch of trees down the day before.

So I had to improvise a strategy that didn't involve me going into the park proper... not that I wasn't already improvising. I just hadn't planned on all the roads being gated closed. The improvisation was more that I wasn't fixed on what kind of photos I was going to take. I only knew that they would be more immersion type images than sweeps of vistas from afar, and that they would be composites of a site (or sites) taken over a period of weeks (or months) as the season progressed and moved into winter... depending on how long I wanted to keep it going and how large I wanted the final piece to be.

The day's photos were so so, but since this particular piece/s is ongoing, that's not too much of a problem. Here are a few of the first images:







I should acknowledge that people are "loving this park to death," so to speak. Unfortunately all the pollution from the motorized vehicles, among other sources, is killing the trees. Here's but one of the many articles.

No comments: