Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Aerial Fragments

Below is a detail of what was originally a 5' x 6' canvas that I dyed by pouring fabric paints and fiber dyes onto raw canvas and then filling with fabric paint in between the pours. The process and rationale is similar to what I did here. I finished painting and dyeing the canvas in 2005, but have been periodically cropping and tearing smaller works from the original canvas (the scale and proportions of which needed some alteration). This is in fact a detail of one of the smaller fragments. I'm still cropping and playing with the proportions. Sometimes I'll begin this type of alteration by cropping photos in Photoshop.


West Coast Fragment #7: Water and concrete, 2005-07
30" x 30" (detail, 15" x 24")
Dyed and painted canvas with hand and machine stitching

And here are some of the earlier fragments torn from the same large canvas.

No comments: