Saturday, September 08, 2007

September First Friday

Last night was First Friday. I didn’t have much work up this month because I spent a lot of time on a commissioned fiber piece last week and, before that, re-stitching and stretching a canvas for another exhibit.

Since the commissioned work-in-progress was hanging on the corkboards in my studio, it got a lot of attention. People were very curious about all the fabrics and the possible history behind them. The best way to describe this piece, which is so unlike most of my work, would probably be: part Mondrian abstract and part Gee’s Bend string quilt. Out of respect for the client, I won’t show an image of the work at this point in construction.

Below is a pic of another stitched drawing. This map-like drawing is a detail of the new back of this aerial, Los Angeles Aerial #3: Psychogeography of the Crazy Quilt. Because the aerial was so heavy (layers and layers of canvas, fabrics, threads and yarns) I wasn’t really happy with the rod pocket for hanging, so I attached it to yet another piece of canvas and stretched it onto a canvas frame.

No comments: