Thursday, September 25, 2008

Purse Show Opening

Tonight is the opening for the Purse and Handbag show at Hanson Gallery... from 4 to 7 pm, I believe.

Also, Kevin Cowan of the Knoxville News Sentinel wrote an article about the show, the work and the artists. Here's an abbreviated version of the article online.

Embedded in Kevin's article is a video of Judi Gaston, friend and fellow fiber artist from the Emporium Building Studios on Gay St. in Knoxville. She's talking about her Recyclable series of clothing to which the purses belong. I especially like the bit where she's describing the rustling that the skirt of plastic bags makes as you walk about "leaving a trail of fun behind you."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have another friend who also creates purses out of recycled clothing. I find it very interesting that there is a whole group of you doing this, probably unintentionally. And all making very different purses, even so.

I love the synchronicity!

I also love all the interesting ideas of femininity, both in the finished product, and in the art-making choices of the female artists who are MAKING the purses, and in the fact that several of you are making purses PARTICULARLY, and finally that you making them out of used up, rejected, or otherwise-"useless" things...

Men recycle too, of course, but I wonder why it is women who are creating PURSES (a thing for women, but also RESEMBLING a woman in some ways..)?

Jana said...

That is interesting. Yeah, I'm always thinking about the vaginal quality of the purses as I make them.

Reminds me... I saw an image of a long skinny beaded change purse in Fiber Arts Magazine I believe (don't remember the artist's name, unfortunately) which was a more literally rendered vagina... very beautiful work. I searched for an image to share, but couldn't find one as quickly as I'd like.