Monday, December 04, 2006

Leaf Angels in the Manner of Ana Mendieta: Ground

Here's part of another piece I've been working on for the Tourism and Tragedy series, which overlaps with The Perfect Fall series. It's called Leaf Angels in the Manner of Ana Mendieta:


I dyed a mottled ground on raw canvas, then applied a beeswax resist through rubbing pebbled pavement and brush painting. I redyed it several times, removed the wax and brought out more definition with fabric paints. I chose fabric paints so the canvas would remain soft and pliable. I wanted the paint to meld with the fibers (as in dyeing processes) rather than just sit on top of them like a traditional painting.

Finally, I drew a chalk outline where the shadow of a figure is suggested and photographed it outside on the ground. Something intrigues me about returning art to a site of inspiration like this and then (re)photographing.

I use the word 'rephotographing' because this piece was inspired by photographs I took in the Smoky Mountains for The Perfect Fall Series.

2 comments:

chase said...

fantastic

Jana said...

Thanks.

Saw your work on the gallery website. Looks good! I'll write more about that later.